Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My first "funny comments about our TV show" post

One of the things that is inevitable when you put yourself in the spotlight is that people are going to pass judgment. This is really just human nature and I don't totally blame the people that do that. Heck, you can't really help yourself when we see something that causes some strong emotion. I decided that a really fun thing to do would be to share these comments with everyone on my blog. You may be asking yourself, "why would anyone in their right mind draw even more attention to the negative comments?" Well, if you know me, you already know that I am not in my right mind...so there we have it. I have been tempted in the past to write responses to these comments but have found that it just gets me frustrated. One of the frustrating things is that often these comments have little grains of truth that I can learn from. In the end, just sharing them makes me feel a little better.

Overall I don't think they are all that bad but I'll let you be the judge. Here goes...

First lets start with something that isn't actually that bad from here:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/12467730/texas_quints

Someone says: I dunno what I thought about it, maybe its just the way they cut it but the parents seem like complete pushovers. The kids have control.


Here is a few from this web site:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101013064112AAiBIf1

One person said: The show just made me cringe. Would you just let your 3 year old climb up into their own highchair unassisted with the tray still on it? I was also cringing when they were climbing back and forth between cribs... get some toddler beds if they are climbing like that, how dangerous.

Another said: I try not to watch this reality cr@p! Especially the ones where the mother takes a bunch of fertility drugs and pushes out a liter of kids! One is hard enough, but controlling 4, you'd be more successful trying to herd cats!

They're on these shows so they can somehow get some sponsorship to pay for raising them! More than likely us tax payers will end up footing the bill for raising them!


Here is one that isn't so bad. It contains some inevitable comparisons to our friends, the Jones family, who are the Austin family in "Quints by Surprise" on TLC:
http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/43775530/ShowThread.aspx?MsdVisit=1

One person said: There kid's names are Rustin, Kyndall, Kaydence and others of course. Those just stand out for me because I can't stand the name/spellings. :x

Another said: "Quints by Surprise" is my all time favorite family of multiples show. This one won't beat that just from the dumb spellings alone.


Some of the best are on this site:

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3198981&st=0&


One person said: The kids are three and still in diapers and cribs? Really?

Another one said: Dad feared bumping into his aborted fetuses in heaven and having to explain to them why he'd killed them?! Seriously, can't we just stop believing this nonsense?

Yet another one said: I think it's annoying and cheesy (and kind of Duggaresque) how all of their girls have K names and all of the boys have R names, even the non-quint older kids. I don't know which name I hate more, Kyndall or Rustin (seriously, Rustin, as in rusting?).

Here is one from a Facebook page:

As a nanny to triplets I am always working to make sure each boy has his own identity... I had to turn off Texas Quints because I got so annoyed with them only calling their children "the quints".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, there you have it. I guess it isn't so bad after all. The relatively small amount of negative comments is probably a sign that not that many people saw the show. In the end, it was a totally fun thing to do and it gave me the opportunity to show everyone how funny my family is. That is really what matters to me.

11 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

The heck with all those comments. I saw the show and LOVED IT. Unless they have quints, they don't have a clue what they're talking about. I don't have quints either, but I have enjoyed your family since Rachelle was pregnant and staying with her aunt in Arizona.

So, or more episodes being filmed of the Texas Quints?

Quintuplet Dad said...

Not sure about more episodes. It depends on whether it is popular or not.

Cowgirl@Heart said...

I noticed in most of the comments that their spelling and grammar usage wasn't so great, so that tells you a lot to begin with. They aren't the brightest. And well, some people just don't have anything better to do than be negative. No worries, you guys are doing awesome I think!

Juli Gabehart said...

I admire the way you guys handle the negative comments! I didn't have quints but I did have one itty bitty little preemie (1 lb, 6 oz at birth) who, at 8 months only weighed 8 lbs. (yeah, that's not a typo!) I didn't mind the curiosity and kind-hearted questions but I didn't handle the idiot-type questions very well. For example: "Does that baby really need those biggo, thick glasses?" My response? "Nope, I just put 'em on her to see how much I could screw up her eyes!" (eyeroll was included!) LOL

Audrey said...

I loved it! :)

The Queen Vee said...

I'm with Audrey, I loved it too! There will always be people who will criticize, you've got the correct attitude!

Crazy Granny said...

I admit that spelling those names is a challenge for me but I love the names, the kids, the parents. I don't know anybody who could do a better job with a single kid let alone five kids than you two.

Erin said...

I can't help but notice that one of them referred to your 4 kids (uh... quints! hello!) and another said "there spelling" bothered them. I thought you guys were absolutely endearing in the show. Although I hate that the public eye draws criticism, we'd definitely tune in for subsequent episodes!

Anne said...

i have to say that anyone that leaves a negative comment about something like this just comes across as ignorant. especially the one commenting on the fact that the kids are 3 and still in diapers...are you kidding me? potty training one child is a nightmare. i can't even imagine trying to potty train 5 at one time. just the thought of it makes me want to rock myself in a corner.

and i keep my kids in a crib until they are at least 3...longer if i can get away with it.

The Dragonfly said...

Naysayers be damned! I loved the show. Travis and I sat on our couch alternating between laughing hysterically, cringing {you know when} and saying "Oh,no!" and just plain marveling at your awesomeness!

jeanie said...

I loved the show (I'm not partial or anything) and hope there are lots more. You and Rachelle did a great job and the quints were absolutely ADORABLE!!