Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Riley's controversial Reflections contest video

If you have seen Rachelle's post, then you know that Riley and Kaiya recently participated in the school Reflections contest. They won in their categories (photography for Kaiya and video for Riley) which isn't totally surprising because they were the only ones to enter those categories. They have got a lot better though and I think this year they have a chance to go a little further. Anyway, the thing I wanted to mention was that it turns out that Riley's video is a little bit controversial. See if you can spot the controversial part (hint: it's near the end)



Did you spot it? It was the part where Riley took the plastic bags and threw them in the trash. The controversy was in the fact that he didn't appear to throw them in the recycling bin. Now, just so you know, we usually save the plastic bags for use with other things. However, I have to admit that we don't do this 100 percent of the time and I also have to admit that we often save the plastic bags because they make great trash bags for throwing away disposable diapers. I suppose that this makes us fairly rotten people in the eyes of some. That is actually fine with me. I'll admit that I don't feel like I have a moral obligation to recycle (even though I think it is a good idea). To me, being a good person has very little to do with whether you recycle or not but much more to do with how you treat your fellow human beings. If you had to choose, would you rather have a kid that tries to do nice things to others or one that always remembers to recycle? I would take the nice kid every time...even if he does throw away a few plastic bags every now and then.

2 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

I'm just dumb founded. Who are these people who spend their time leaving unkind comments all over the internet?

Riley's video is fabulous, I'm so proud of him.

I've gotten pretty good at recycling lots of stuff but not my grocery bags. Like you I use them for dirty diapers and to line my garbage can and I'm going to keep doing it.

I'm with you, being a good person has nothing to do with recycling and a lot to do with how we treat people.

Tobi said...

Jayson people are dumb. It's wonderful video about kindness and acts of service towards your fellow man. For crying out loud people will nitpick about anything.

Riley you are amazing and don't even think twice about all those naysayers.