Saturday, April 26, 2008

Cheap LASIK and one of the reasons why we were meant to have quintuplets

A few days ago, an old friend of mine from my freshman year at BYU told me she just got LASIK and it reminded me of when I got LASIK and that reminded me of how cheap I am which reminded me why we were perhaps a good choice for quintuplets. To help you understand what I mean, I think I will need to explain a little.

About 5 years ago, I started thinking I wanted LASIK. LASIK is an eye surgery that is supposed to fix your eyes such that you don't need to wear glasses or contacts. I wore glasses and didn’t really like contacts (even though I had only technically tried them for about a minute and 30 to 45 seconds). The only problem was that LASIK is pretty expensive. The lowest cost I could find at the time was about 1400 dollars per eye. Not only that, every time I would go to the eye doctor to get a LASIK evaluation, they would always tell me that my pupils were really big and that I would probably see halos around lights if I got the surgery.

Well, one day I found an ad in the paper that caught my attention. It advertised LASIK for 500 dollars an eye. The ad was actually on the back of the comic pages so that should have clued me in that something was wrong. Anyway, I decided that because of my cheap nature, I needed to check it out or I would always wonder if I could have got a better deal.

I made an appointment with the place that was doing it and when I got there they first told me that my pupils were really big and then told me that they didn’t actually do the surgery there but at their temporary facility in San Antonio. They also said that I needed to agree to the surgery and give them a 100 dollar deposit that day or I wouldn’t get the 500 dollar/eye deal. I decided to go ahead with it even though I was bit nervous.

Well, the day of the surgery arrived and I was pretty nervous. I had actually expected them to call or something to confirm but they didn’t so I went anyway. When I got to the address, I realized what they had meant by the “temporary” facility. It was actually a big semi trailer. After seeing the semi, I just about had a panic attack. We sat there for a few minutes and I debated whether I should go through with it. On one side, I would save about 2000 dollars. On the other side, I could loose my vision. It was an easy choice. I decided to go ahead with it and save the 2000 dollars.

When I went in the little waiting room, I was greeted by about 6 other nervous looking patients sitting in line waiting for their turn. I went to the receptionist person and told them who I was and they didn’t have any record of me coming but said they thought they could fit me in. Well, I waited about an hour until it was my turn and they took me into the prep room. In the prep room, they had a look at my eyes and told me I had really big pupils. They then took me into the actual surgery room which was at the back of the semi. There they had a big LASER crammed in and I lay down in the chair. At this point I was extremely nervous by trying to pretend to be calm. They sort of clamped my eye down and told me to look at the red light. I looked at that red light as hard as I could because I kept thinking that if I didn’t, I might be blind in a few minutes.

Well, the surgery ended and I could still see. They gave me a bunch of stuff to put in my eye and some goggles to wear when I slept and told me that I needed to be really careful. Over the next few weeks, I followed the instructions as exactly as I could and things turned out pretty well. About six months after the surgery, Rachelle reminded me that I had a free checkup through the original eye doctor that I should go take advantage of. I made an appointment and when I got there and sat down with the doctor he said, “So, did you just get this yesterday?”

I said, “No, it was actually about six months ago.”

At that point, I saw the color drain from the optometrist’s face. Apparently, I was supposed to go in the day after the surgery and have them look at me. They actually were supposed to call me right after the surgery and make sure I came in. They forgot I guess. When the doctor was checking me out, I could tell he was really nervous. However, when he got done, I saw him relax and tell me that everything looked good.

The moral of the story is that I saved 2000 dollars. The same personality trait that helped me save the 2000 dollars has helped me save money at other times. I have a feeling that same personality trait will also help save money in the future as we deal with the various difficulties of raising quintuplets. I just hope I don't have to risk anything else on my body to do it.

23 comments:

Kenn N said...

"...It was an easy choice. I decided to go ahead with it and save the 2000 dollars...."

Classic. I've heard this story before, and it's still crazy to me.

Is this the reason you had 5 kids at once, was there a group rate at the hospital, or did you have a coupon? The babies weren't born in a semi trailer were they?

Hilary said...

Wow. I would have run when I saw the semi trailer and would have never looked back. I have worn glasses since I was 3 years old and contacts since I was in 7th grade. Maybe one day I will get around to having LASIK surgery as well.

Buggles said...

Haha! I have no idea what "LASIK" is (I'm in the UK if that explains anything??)

Well done on saving £2000 dolars... I think I would have been the same, maybe...

At least you can see your gorgeous babies!

Quintuplet Dad said...

So, LASIK is LASER surgery for your eyes that fixes them so you don't need glasses.

Tobi said...

Jayson you are extreme! I don't know anyone else who would go quite that far to save money. I'm glad your gamble paid off in the end.

The Dragonfly said...

You are a brave, brave, man. But you never let us know - do you see halos around lights?

Quintuplet Dad said...

You know, I don't notice any halos except around a few people like Rachelle and many of the volunteers that come help out...but I have kind of gotten used to it.

Jileen said...

I feel so honored to be briefly mentioned in your blog (the OLD friend). I am the same age as you so what does that say?

The semi trailer - oh my gosh - you are crazy! Did you hear about the Federal Panel on LASIK? I wonder if any of the people you saw in the semi trailer waiting room are testifying? :)

Quintuplet Dad said...

Yes, I suppose I am old and I also suppose getting LASIK that way really was crazy. I am glad it worked out OK but I probably wouldn't do it again because it seemed so shady. I have at least learned that when a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Diana said...

Oh my goodness! I was cringing the whole time I read this. You're a risk-taker, that's for sure!

Crazy Granny said...

I remember when you had that done. Being the goofy crazy person that I am I thought, well gee that's nice. Now that I've heard more stories about bad surgery on eyes,I realize that you were being watched over and kept from harm I guess you had to be a quint dad.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

WOW. I can't belive you actually went through with it. So glad everything went ok.

The Queen Vee said...

You are very brave, no way would I have done that surgery under those conditions. Even without the cheap Lasik surgery you were meant to be a Quint dad. You and Rachelle leave us all awestruck and so very proud. I'm really glad you can still see because your kids are so cute.

Tim Perkins said...

I can't believe it worked and that apparently, you are still pleased with the results.

Unknown said...

╭⌒╮WELCOME
----- ~ ¤ ╭⌒╮ ╭⌒╮
╭⌒╭⌒╮╭⌒╮~╭⌒╮
,)))),'')~~ ,''~)
╱◥█◣ ╱◥█◣ SHOES
|田|田||田|田| NIKES
╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬ 2010 NEW


╬╬╬ http://www.nike-star-shoes.net/╬╬╬
╰════════════════╯
Nike Air Force
Nike Air Force High
Nike Air Force Low

Anonymous said...

Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here.
Eye Doctor San Antonio

Amy Watson said...

Retinitis pigmentosa is the most common of a group of hereditary progressive retinal disease. Since retinitis pigmentosa begins as rod degeneration, the patient first notices increasing difficulty in night vision, followed by difficulty seeing in the periphery. Then slowly its destroy the tunnel vision. Retinitis pigmentosa treatment

Rafi said...

You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! toledo lasik center

Rafi said...

Thanks for sharing us. heavy eyelid surgery cost

Burhan Khatri said...

Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. vsp laser eye surgery cost

vision associates said...

I really appreciate your work which you have shared here. The article you have shared here is very informative and the points you have mentioned are very helpful. Thank you so much. lasik eye surgery toledo

vision associates said...

Very valuable information, it's not in all the blogs that we find here, congratulations, I was looking for something like this and found it here. Eye Doctor Toledo

Kerline Marcelin said...

You've given very great data here. This is fabulous since it extends our insight and is additionally gainful to us. Much thanks to you for sharing this piece of composing. best eye care services in Peekskill